The Foundation supports programs that address the developmental needs of youth and their families. We are particularly interested in programs that:
- Help youth develop character and gain the necessary life skills, attitudes, perseverance and resilience to make informed and responsible life choices to succeed in school and beyond .
- Provide opportunities for creative expression, physical well-being and enhancement of individual strengths.
- Foster leadership development, personal responsibility and service to the community.
Teen Success, Inc. | www.teensuccess.net
The mission of Teen Success, Inc. (TSI) is to transform the lives of underserved teen mothers and their children by helping them become educated, self-sufficient, valued members of society. TSI uses a codified, evidence-informed program model in which groups of 10-12 first-time teen mothers meet once a week throughout the year to develop skills, discuss what is going on in their lives, set goals, and connect to resources that will help them reach their goals. The group dynamic is a key element of the success of the program. Trusting, supportive relationships are formed that reinforce positive life steps and help guide members back on track when necessary.
TSI operates its program in the Bay Area, Monterey County, and Central Valley of California. Its program goals are based on research findings of conditions that are necessary for teen moms and their children to find and stay on a path to success:
- Complete high school or the equivalent (vocational school, GED);
- Build their social and emotional assets that underpin the foundation for long-term success;
- Develop confidence and skills in parenting; and
- Avoid additional teen pregnancies.
To date, TSI has a proven to be a success story with 94% of its members having graduated high school or are on their way to do so; according to the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, only 38% of girls who have a child before age 18 get a high school diploma by the age of 22 (2012).
Many teen mothers and their children are at risk of slipping through the cracks. These young women are incredibly strong and resilient and want nothing more than to provide their children with “a better life than they had.” TSI helps make this a reality.